Ashritha is a Voluntary and Non- Profit Organisation from the state of Telangana founded by Dr.Pushpa Rani Pentapalli in the year 1999 to work among under privileged children. ASHRITHA (signifying “Refuge”, “Shelter”) is a registered NGO under the Societies Registration Act.
- Projects Undertaken:
It has observed how children are being exploited by his/her own parents engaging them in Junk and rag picking, begging, collecting food from restaurants and function halls, selling movie tickets in black etc. And children living on street are exposed to all anti-social activities. To transform such lives ASHRITHA organisation has been started.
The NGO started its work from slums of Fathenagar and Shobana colony of Balanagar(Urban) and Qutubullapur ( Urban) Mandals , Shamirpet and Tandur ( Rural ) Mandals of Ranga Reddy district . It has expanded its work in all the above four mandals running 2 RBC ( Residential Bridge Course centers ) and NRBC ( Non- Residential Bridge Course) center numbering 37 in the two rural mandals. The above RBC were supported by ARCO Baleno Foundation from Switzerland, Dr.Prem Kumar Reddy (USA, Individual) and District Collector Ranga Reddy under Project NCLP.
The NRBC centres were Supported by SKN-Netherlands, CRS from Baltimore USA, CEI from Italy to run the NRBC centres and sensitization and Motivational programs and other issues relating to Child Rights.
The teachers identified to work in the above centres were oriented on the Bridge Course curriculum which was specially designed by State Sarva Siksha Abhyan resource team. They have to complete the 2 books in 10 months and later mainstream the children in the month of June-July to respective Government schools locally or to any hostel attached school for further high school education. In a year from all four mandals we were able to address nearly 1000 children and over these 12 years we could mainstream more than 10,000 children from Ashritha Organisation. Imparting Joyful learning, Child Centred, activity based are few methodologies followed. Vocational skill in Tailoring was part of the program both under NCLP and RVM ( Rajiv Vidhya Mission) projects.
After 2014 when the states have got bifurcated as Telangana and Andhra Pradesh we have to go with regular formal school for the slum children in the style “ Holy Child English Medium school” was started . This was done as the state polices and funding were stopped for NGOs. Here we wanted to acknowledge all the children who were supporting their fellow children with a helping hand. as “ Children of Lesser Gods” At present it is from Kinder garden to VII. And has to be upgraded upto high school. Now nearly 300 children are studying. We are having activities on par with any corporate school having computer Lab, Digital class room, Play ground, organising many events for children such as Clean & Green program, exposure out reach programs, cultural events, games & sports , school annual days etc.
- Awareness / Motivation / Sensitization /Capacity Building programs .
- Motivation and Sensitization on Protection of Child Rights. . Under this we could release the Child Labour and Bonded Labour. Stopped child marriages in the villages. Formed committees with stake holders at village level as Child Vidhya Committees involving Village Panchayat members, Village leaders and SHG Women. At school level involved children and formed Badi Dandu Committees.
- Juvenile Justice Act 2000. This was funded by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment under the wing National Institute for Social Defence. The NGOs at State level and at Southern Regional Level who are working with children are identified and they are oriented on the New J.J. Act 2000 and Capacitated.
- Drug Abuse and De-addiction: This training was also funded by NISD and it has worked with NGOs who are working this Drug and De-addiction programs.
- Consumer Rights and Consumer Awareness: This training was supported by Ministry of Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs and a donor Caritas India – New Delhi to enlighten the Rural villagers on Consumer Rights & Awareness.
- Research projects:
- Conducted Studies on “Situation Analysis of Children who are working in the Industrial area of Balanagar Mandal of Ranga Reddy district funded by IGSSS- New Delhi. 2004
- Conducted Studies “Socio-Economic dimensions of children engaged in begging in the Greater Hyderabad municipal Area . Funded by NISD( MSJW) 2011.
- Women Empowerment and Sill Training center.
In the year 2003- 04 the Zilla Parishad Chairman of Ranga Reddy district Sri.Kasani Ganeswara Rao has allotted the DWCRA Community Hall building to organise training programs for women. From 2003 to 2009 with funding from DKA- Austria and from CAPART- Regional office, Hyderabad we could organise trainings for women on On-Farm, Non- Farm and Off- Farm activities in a successful manner. Nearly more than 3000 youth and women were benefitted by these training programs.
- Under On- farm activities the women were trained by agriculture experts on crop management, Pest management, Culture of Azobacter, Azospirullum,culture and culture of Vermicomposting and they were even sponsored as Beneficiaries for Construction of Vermicompost training was given by the experts. And for promoting Kitchen garden in their house back yards fee seed distribution was done.
- Non –farm activities the para-vet training for the small rudiments was given. Under the supervision of Veterinary doctors, few beneficiaries have got their milch animals got artificial –insemination. And for cultivation of Para grass seeds were distributed free of cost. .Likewise for few beneficiaries got the Giri Raja Hens which were distributed under poultry program.
- In Off -farm activities Tailoring & Maggam Work was a continuous activity. And few other added programs were Jute, Bags, Oblique works, Chalk Piece making, Candle Making, Flower pot designing, plastic die making items. Under Cookery they have learnt Pickles, Pappads, and Karas. In sweets and Savouries the bakery experts are called and they have taken demonstration classes to train the women on few special items.
- Ashritha –Training And Rehabilitation Center- Gandimaisamma.
The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Dr. Y.S. Raja Sekhar Reddy garu in the year 2008 has allotted One acre land to Ashritha Organisation waving the Municipal Permissions for Construction of the Rehabilitation centre. Donors from- Kinder Mission- Germany, Caritas India- New Delhi, Dr.Prem Kumar Reddy & Dr.Kusma Reddy from USA and Dr.Ch.Annapoorna and many others came forward and supported the Ground + 1flooor of the building. We are running a full-fledged School and full time Skill training center in Tailoring & Computers for the Youth and Women which is now being supported by Lions Club of Jeedimetla & Nakoda Chemicals.
In the present Covid-19 situation from Last March 2020 when everything was kept in Lockdown situation we could support the skill center women with some food essentials . Later as the Corona is being prolonged to create some “work from home” concept we have taken the initiative of getting orders for stitching Masks and PPE kits. Every day each women are stitching 100 to 300 masks depending upon ones individually capacity. Till date we are continuing our service in the Protection of Child Rights and Education of children in Dindugal Municipality of Medchal Malkagiri District of Telangana State