About The Akshaya Patra Foundation
Established in 2000, The Akshaya Patra Foundation is one of the pioneer mid-day meal NGOs in India. It is an implementing partner of the Government of India’s Mid-Day Meal Scheme in collaboration with Central Government and various State Governments. Headquartered in Bengaluru, Akshaya Patra provides freshly cooked, nutritious, and hygienic mid-day meals to children of Government schools and Government-aided schools across the country.
- Vision: No child in India shall be deprived of education because of hunger.
- Mission: To feed 5 million children by 2025.
Since inception, the Foundation has strategically expanded its reach. From feeding just 1,500 children in the year 2000 at five Government schools in Bengaluru to currently feeding 18,02,157 children in 16,824 Government schools and Government-aided schools across 53 locations of 12 States and 2 Union Territories of India, Akshaya Patra has steadily progressed over the years.
The importance of mid-day meal can be gauged by its conformance to two of the eight United Nations Millennium Development Goals:
- United Nations Millennium Development Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture; and
- United Nations Millennium Development Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong opportunities for all.
Akshaya Patra’s Programmes
Akshaya Patra focusses its efforts to nourish children by implementing the below-mentioned programmes:
- Mid-Day Meal Programme – Akshaya Patra supports education of children belonging to challenging socio-economic backgrounds by providing them with the much-needed nutrient-rich school meals. On each school day, Akshaya Patra feeds 18,02,517 children covering 16,856 schools in 53 locations of 12 States and 2 Union Territories.
- Anganwadi Programme - Nutrition plays a significant role during the formative years of children especially during the first six years of life. Hence, Akshaya Patra provides wholesome food at 4,786 Anganwadi centres across 10 locations of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana to nourish 1,31,870 children aged between 3 and 6 years, and 3,660 pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- Meal Plate Distribution Programme – To ensure hygienic consumption of school meals, Akshaya Patra provides stainless steel meals plates to its beneficiaries. So far, 1,09,680 plates have been distributed and 16,92,837 plates are still required.
- Breakfast Meal programme – Breakfast is the first and most important meal of the day, especially for children. It is necessary for them to get adequate nutrition to have an energetic day. Thus, to begin with, Akshaya Patra in collaboration with generous donor partners have initiated a Breakfast Programme to serve warm, nutritious, and delicious breakfast in Hosur and Chennai in Tamil Nadu, and Hyderabad in Telangana. We aspire to create a sustainable programme to ensure more children are nourished in the near future.
Awards and recognitions
Akshaya Patra has been appreciated for its service both at national and international platform. The Foundation has been covered by several leading media houses, including Forbes, CNN, BBC, National Geographic, and Discovery Channel.
Below are some of the significant recognitions:
- Akshaya Patra was selected by Harvard Business School for a case study as part of their study curriculum.
- The Global Journal of Geneva in their 2013 edition ranked Akshaya Patra as 23rd among top 100 NGOs in the world.
- National Award for Child Welfare 2016.
- Nikkei Asia Prize 2016 for Economic and Business Innovation category.
- Gandhi Peace Prize 2016.
- 7-time winner of ICAI Gold Shield Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting (Financial Years: 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010,11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2016-17, and 2017-18).
- 1st NGO to be inducted to ICAI Hall of Fame.
- BBC World Service Global Food Champion Award 2019.
- Outlook Poshan Special Jury Award 2019.
- Mahatma Award for Social Good 2019.
Support healthy and nutrient-rich meals for school children and Anganwadi beneficiaries.
Your support will go a long way in creating healthy and resourceful citizens for India.
To support, click here: